Sometimes, simpler is better – or at least, more efficient. At one point, you probably loved your job and had a passion for what you do. As time goes along, however, you often start to push tasks aside or become unorganized because it’s easier to just do things later go with the flow, right? Not exactly. Although it may seem simpler to just work, you will actually become more productive and have easier work days by staying organized and having a plan. Check out these 5 ways to simplify your work day.
- Allow yourself time to focus. You may think, “Hey, I can focus, that’s why I’m a recruiter.” But are you focusing properly? When was the last time you drowned out all distractions and focused on ONE task at ONE time? Multitasking may seem like a great skill overall, but not when it comes to focusing on recruitment projects. Put your phone away, turn off your email notifications, and focus on one project to complete it more efficiently.
- Don’t be afraid to take a break. If you’re becoming frustrated at a certain task, it’s okay to take a step back and regroup. Move onto a different task or take a quick 15-minute break to check your email or gather your thoughts. As long as you aren’t procrastinating or relaxing more than working, it’s okay to cut yourself some slack during a particularly difficult project.
- Unclutter your inboxes – yes, all of them. “4,507 Unread Emails.” Does that sound familiar to you? Yikes. A cluttered inbox breeds a cluttered mind, despite how well you think your system works. An email will always slip through the cracks and fall into a pile of words that blend together. Instead, organize your inboxes. It’s not fun at the time, but you’ll thank yourself later when you see the “1 Unread Email” notification – ah, simplicity.
- Plan ahead and catch up on work before it’s due. Do you find yourself scrambling last-minute to complete tasks? That’s not a very good practice! Always plan your days – whether you have a mental system that works or you have to keep up with a physical planner. Plus, here’s a great tip: Always catch up on work before it’s due. Set the due date for a time before it needs to be done. That way, when you finish a task “on time,” it’s actually early.
- Take care of yourself before starting the day. Remember, a healthy mind starts with a healthy body. You’ll see a positive change in your work performance if you make sure your basic human needs are met. No one wants to work on an empty stomach – and no one should! Wake up a bit earlier, make breakfast, pour a cup of coffee, and enjoy your life. When you head to work, you’ll be ready to conquer the day.
Learn to love recruiting again by learning to focus, staying organized, having a plan, and taking care of yourself. Simplify your days and see a boost in your mindset and productivity.